Friday, October 19, 2007

the sickness drama

Ok, so this all started almost 3 weeks ago when, just like the rest of the world, i began running a fever and getting achy. So, the assumption....something viral from the little ones. Anyway, I really developed very little other symptoms, but after 3 days felt so blah that i decided to stop at an urgent care clinic after work. At this point, my fever was at 102.7 and all i wanted to do was lay down, but the doctor quickly did a few tests and informed me "You are a very sick young girl" stating that i had a severe kidney infection that if untreated could cause serious issues like kidney failure. He gave me a shot of antibiotics and would not let me leave until someone came to drive me. I was told to go to the hospital if things worsened. SO, Seth came to get me and within an hour, I was in the hospital with a fever of 104.8. Well, as bad as I felt, i told the above story and the ER doctor did the same tests and informed me the kidneys were perfectly fine, gave me tylenol, and sent me on my way. without figuring out what the fever was from....very sad that within one hour 2 doctors have 2 totally different opinions....well, i went home and continued to feel crappy. After running fever for 7-8 days, i realized the vision in my left eye was dim. When I looked in the mirror, my left pupil was huge and my right was not....back to the dr the next day, still not sure where the fever was from, but concerned about the left eye....sent me to the ophthamologist ASAP. So, when i saw the eye dr, he wanted me admitted immediately due to a condition in the eye called uveitis and optic neuritis....he was concerned because of my history of lyme's disease.
Seth took me to downtown Herman Hospital where I was admitted for evaluation. Tons of stuff done including a spinal tap ...the conclusion, my lyme's disease and a different autoimmune disorder which is complicated, but deals with a genetic marker HLA-B27. So, after the spinal tap, i followed instructions to lay flat "forever", but still developed a "spinal headache" which is excruciating pain with sitting up, but improves with lying down. It has been 9 days since the tap and i still can't get up for more than a couple of minutes at a time. After the tap, i could not hear well out of my right ear and developed severe vertigo so I then saw the ENT doctor.....well, it looks like my eardrum burst from the spinal tap and now has a large hole which will require surgery later on.
I did go for a "blood patch" several days ago where they inject my blood into the spinal cord to try and close the leak from the previous tap, but it does not seem to have worked.
So, i have been lying flat for almost 3 weeks and it is so hard physically and mentally....my mom has stayed with us some, but Seth is working and taking care of the girls too. It is so sad not to be able to play with them and to see them get sad for me. Jadyn prays for me all the time and last night my heart broke as she sat next to me, folded her hands, and prayed "Dear God, please don't make my mom be dying because she is the best mommy in the world." A three year old, tears fell because the Lord knows the thought of ever leaving my girls is devasating...i was at an emotional low after that. I went upstairs and closed myself in a room to just sob....have you ever prayed so much you just had nothing left to say. Thanks to all my friends, I knew i had tons of prayer out there for me. As Star said, let my friends fight for me....As I lay there sobbing, I asked God for a sign of encouragement....within minutes I heard someone say "Whitney"...assuming it was Seth, I said "What"..."It is Tray, can I come in" ( Tray is a friend, neighbor, and pastor). I was totally caught off guard and said"No, Not right now please" and he said "OK, I just wanted to come over to let you know I love you". As he went back downstairs to be with Seth and the girls, I realized that message was from God. Tray didn't know what was going on, but God told him to come over and talk with me because I needed prayer. He and his wife are amazing that way.
So, I appreciate the continued prayers because it is hard for me to accept help, but I need it and my family needs it. As my buddies are all together in Fort Worth this weekend just being together, i lay here in the same spot missing my friends, the playtime with my kids, dates with my hubby, and yes....I even miss being able to get up and clean my house. I can get up for a few minutes, but then have to lay down....how long can this go on? No One really knows, but may last several weeks and i am praying for a full speedy recovery.
I have been bad about returning emails and calls, but i want to talk to everyone....just hoping to feel better soon. I miss seeing friends as well. Besides my mom, stepdad, Seth, my girls, Kurt and Angela, Kathy, and my awesome brother in law ( who i only got to see one day while he was here from Iraq)....i have been pretty secluded. My mom and stepdad have been awesome with the girls and even forfeit their vacation to Colorado just to help us out.....
One if the songs that has really helped me through this is my profile song by Mercy Me "Bring the Rain"...Listen if you get a chance...
So, be ready, when i can get up again, i may just come visit everyone because i am going to have so much energy wound up from lying down so long....

4 comments:

Lorren Says... said...

Love you, sister. We missed you big time this weekend. I got seperated from the group during the walk (there were about 22,000 people there so it was an easy thing to do). Could have used you as my bathroom buddy. I pray for you all the time. Get well for Nov. 31st. I need you and so does New York!

stephanie said...

Bless your heart. Thanks for filling us in on what's going on here on your new blog so we can join everyone in praying for you.

Star Molegraaf said...

I LOVE YOU WHIT!!

Greg and Joy Ryan said...

I am so sorry whitney-I do hope you feel better. That is a great song and one I reflect on often!